April 14, 2011

Update

Mowing fairways

I always enjoy watching the Masters.  I was so inspired after television coverage ended Saturday that I decided to head for the golf course.  It was a beautiful day, so I thought it would be nice to sneak in a few holes.  Instead of grabbing my clubs, I opted for my work keys.  Sure enough, I was able to get out and mow a few fairways.  It was definitely worth it.  Between Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning, I was able to get all the fairways mowed.  Usually, I would not consider that a major accomplishment, but this year the weather has been so awful that finding a dry enough time to mow fairways has been a challenge.  With the exception of tomorrow, the weather forecast for the next 10 days looks pretty decent in Florence.  I really hope that forecast holds true.


Shrinking vinyl onto a flagstick with a heat gun

I am always looking for ways to be more efficient and utilize resources wisely.  I had heard of a company called Vinyl Guard making some type of wrap that could be put onto flagsticks in order to reuse them.  I got serious about the idea after seeing the flagsticks that David Phipps produced at Stone Creek Golf Club.  After checking into the details involved, I decided we would give it a try at Sandpines.  I finished the flag sticks this week.  They turned out pretty nice.  Before I fully endorse the product, I want to see how they look after a full season of use.  In addition to the vinyl shrink wrap, new ferrules were also installed. 


New Flag stick preview

With vinyl, ferrules, and paint, the cost to refurbish our flagsticks was about $6 each excluding labor.  New flagsticks of a similar type sell for about $28 ($26-$30) each.  We usually order 20 flagsticks due to theft and/or damage.  That brings our usual flagstick total to about $560.  Our 20 refurbished flagsticks cost about $120.  The new flagsticks will most likely be put out after greens aeration, which is coming up soon (May 1st, 2nd, and 3rd).


Used pin sheet I found online

Recently, I needed a blank pin sheet for an upcoming tournament.  After looking through my computer files, I came up empty.  I decided to search for one online.  I did not come across a blank one, but there was a used one I liked.  I decided that would do.  The pin sheet I found was in jpeg format.  This made it relatively easy to modity.  I was able to transform the used pin sheet above into the blank pin below using Microsoft Paint (MS Paint).  If you ever want to modify a picture give MS Paint a try.  The process is pretty easy.  First, open MS Paint.  Next, open the file you want to modify within MS Paint.  Then, perform your modifications and save.


Blank pin sheet